Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Naughtiness continues...

Naughty behavior of the day: Jumping, clawing, biting, crying, and yes... humping me when I sit down at my computer! He starts with jumping on my arms or the computer itself, when I make him get down he turns to biting, clawing, and crying. He will then sit back, sneak slowly closer, and right when I think he is about to snuggle nicely next to or behind me.... hump, hump. This is unacceptable.

I think this is his way of demanding attention, which he gets, although not positive. I can't ignore him humping my arm while I try to type obviously... so what to do? We played fetch for a good 20 minutes, I brushed him and trimmed his paws (probably not the attention he was looking for but too bad), snuggled without the computer for a half hour. Still, sit down and this obnoxiousness occurs.

In a desperate attempt for some 'fun' together, rather than yelling at him, I decided we would go to Petsmart. (He needs a toothbrush and paste because his breath is stinky!). I walked out mortified at how badly he behaved! He pulled me all over and I felt ridiculous for not being able to control my puppy. While attempting to rip my arm off, I did manage to skim a page in a dog training book about pulling. Apparently starting in a small confined space (inside the house I guess?) walk with him at your side. Praise him and talk to him happily while he is by your side and he leash is slack. If he pulls, turn directions so that pulling is not associated with getting to where he wants to go. Praise and reward good walking.

We will try this. I'm just not sure even walking well our living room will transfer to walking well outside on a walk... :Sigh:

No comments:

Post a Comment