Monday, November 14, 2011

Day One


I drove 40 minutes to pick up Ramsey. I met with the breeder for almost two hours talking about his history, how to care for him, food types and eating schedules, grooming, training, the possibility of showing him, etc. He would need to be fed 3 times a day and was currently on top of the line food. He had his first two vaccinations but needed the third in a week and the fourth a month after that. Grooming would need to be professionally done or taught to me by the breeder. (I asked because I would prefer to learn and save the additional cost!) All while we chatted, the little fluff ball of a puppy was sprinting around the house. He resembled a tiny dinosaur due to a funny (tad short for my taste) hair cut around his neck! Finally when it was time to leave, my car wasn't prepped for a crate. I drive a small 2 door car. We had to borrow a crate that would fit when the front seat was reclined as far as it would go. He fell asleep immediately in the car and I drove back going over all of the new information I needed to take in. I drove cautiously, barely tipping the speed limit on the highway. I don't think I realized he was real and that we actually took on this new addition!

The first night: We had baby gated the kitchen to keep him off of the carpet, which was a good thing since there were continual piddles on the kitchen floor. Anytime we left the kitchen area, he would whine and cry. We ended up taking turns showering and even going to the bathroom to not leave the puppy alone! At this point I think we both realized the time commitment we had made to this lil guy! Not only could we not leave the house together for a long time, we couldn't leave the kitchen! Surprisingly, Ramsey slept the whole first night in his crate, in the kitchen no problems! We awoke so howling at 5:30 but didn't consider that too badly for his first night alone. The kisses and excitement upon letting him out of his crate made up for the early time.

No comments:

Post a Comment