Monday, March 5, 2012

Tornado vs. Blizzard?

Since moving to Lexington, I have been asked more than a few times how anyone could possibly stand living in a city that routinely gets over 100 inches (or close to 200 inches in the case of the 92-93 and 2010-11 seasons) of snow... I always tell them it's really not that bad! I actually love the snow, I just don't want the people here to think I'm crazy!

A few days ago Kentucky suffered horrible tornadoes, as I'm sure you've seen on the news. Cleaning out the closet as an emergency shelter isn't fun, it's terrifying. Thinking things like: 'We should put Ramsey's collar on incase the house gets demolished and he gets out...' or 'We should have our shoes near us in case we have to climb out of rubbish...' is scary. Ok, we didn't get hit, but towns in every direction from us did. Maybe our thoughts were over reactions because we aren't from here, we aren't used to this kind of extreme weather. We are used to the snow. (That stuff you Southerners hate and fear!) Following the tornadoes, I made a public statement to a friend on Facebook. I said: "I'd take a snowstorm over a tornado any day!" Well.... this morning, we woke up to what is considered a snowstorm in the South. Four inches!!!!

What does a girl from Syracuse (and her son) do with 4 inches of snow when she has been denied the fluffy white stuff for almost a year? Go outside and play!!

and teach Ramsey how to build (and not eat) a snowman!



Snowman and Rams got along great once the rules were established:
1) Leave my stick arms in place.
2) Don't eat me.

So given that when tornadoes hit you're told to hide in a closet and fear for your life, and when a snowstorm hits you go out and play.... I think the question about how anyone stands living in a snowy city is pretty obvious!

No comments:

Post a Comment