Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dis-Obedience

Two weeks ago I attended Ramsey's Obedience class orientation, only to find that we had gotten closed out of the class because I didn't get the registration money in on time. We still have a few decisions to make: A spot opened up at a mid-day class, but we already missed one session and might be behind. It' also mid day.... not that this is a problem at this time, but if I find a job it will most likely include day time hours. (This is one of those 'what ifs' only, but... it's a possibility, and I don't want to waste money on classes we can't get to!). We could wait and join the next session, but that begins in March. I can NOT wait that long to get a grip on some of Ramsey's 'issues.' We have also been given the option to pay for a few private sessions in the mean time. Pricey, but might be worth it? We were semi thinking, maybe follow through the training book we got at orientation and for the skills we find ourselves struggling with, schedule a private session. We're still deciding! (There aren't really any other classes we could find, and this class is run by a friend of the breeder so I feel some sort of obligation...)

The largest issue as of now: Pulling on the leash. It makes walks miserable, when they should be fun and relaxing for all of us! Here is a list of strategies tried and outcomes:

Consistent tug when his leash gets tight and a happy 'Good boy!' when he is next to us. Unfortunately before the 'Good' is out, he is at the end pulling harder than ever again!

We then tried this with a choke collar. I know, I know, some people say these are cruel but really depending on the dog and if it's used correctly, I see no problem with it. The problem was that because Ramsey was pulling so hard, there is no room in the collar for a correctional choke! I really think he would let himself faint before relaxing. At this point, we're starting to think our dog has some learning disabilities...

During confirmation class the instructor told us to change directions quickly so that he has to pay attention. Turn around every time he pulls. This results in 20 minutes of pacing back and forth across the front of the drive way. No, I'm not exaggerating. At the end of 20 minutes, we are both frustrated and there is no less pulling.

With a little google research a lot of people swear by this one: When they pull, stop walking. I've been doing this for a few weeks, with no avail. So, this weekend we went to the park (Greg, Rams, and I). We got about 50 meters in 40 minutes before I got so frustrated I sat in the car.... I can NOT tolerate this. Thank goodness Greg has more patience than I do!

So now, I gave in, and bought a Gentle Leader. I didn't want to get a harness or anything of the sort because I don't feel like it actually teaches anything. I want to teach him to walk nicely, not just in the harness, but always. The Gentle Leader is basically a face harness. The straps go over the snout and hook underneath. Ramsey really didn't mind it (I saw mixed reviews about dogs throwing tantrums). When he pulls, it transfers the pressure to turn his face instead of hold him back. This apparently is annoying because dogs want to see where they are going. It definitely helped. Hopefully we can use it as a teaching tool, or a bit more control while we teach... and at the very least, he will get some exercise rather than walking around the block and coming home angry!

Being Gently Lead....

Other suggestions are welcome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment